Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Sharing is Caring (Leah)

I am so happy to be here in Uganda it has been a dream come true for me, for as long as I can remember I have wanted to learn and experience life in Africa. We have settled in very nicely to our new home I look forward to coming home each day and seeing the smiling faces of my roomies and sharing my day. I could not think of a better group of gals to be here in Masaka with, we are all from different backgrounds but we have common threads that weave us together as four strong women. I feel the positive vibes from our fifth member daily and think of you often my dear Malia :)

I have been inspired and grateful for the time I have been spending at Uganda Schizophrenia Fellowship and Ward 14. I have been observing and learning from the clinical officers at USF, they are so knowledgeable about mental health and the issues and barriers people face to access proper mental health treatment. I am impressed at the length of time the clinical officers spend with each client. The staff at USF really takes time to fully understand the history and symptoms of the outpatients, they then take time to explain their diagnoses and educate these clients about how to begin to live a healthy stable life living with mental illness.

Many Ugandans historically and continue to visit traditional healers for treatment of mental illness. USF has developed a program and partnership to educate traditional healers about methods of treatment which can take place at the USF clinic and ward 14. This program has proven to be successful as upon our visit local healers had made 4 referrals to USF. I really support and believe in this program as it is educating many people and increasing access for treatment and breaking down the stigma of mental illness. While visiting the healers I was able to sit in the healing clinic where they perform various healing rituals. It reminded me much of a TeePee. As we sat on the floor I felt a great sense of peace run through my body. I can only assume this feeling came because it is a spiritual place. The traditional healer explained he gets consultation messages from the spirit world and the spirits tell him how and what to do to treat different physical and mental illnesses. I found it very intriguing and I left with a curiosity of what a healing ceremony would look like. I was pleased to learn that people living in surrounding villages will be learning more about mental illness and be accessing effective treatment in the future.

I have learned so much since arriving in Masaka, I don’t know where to start. I guess it’s a good start by finally making a blog entry! I have seen and felt a great sense of community since arriving and family is so important to people. I have learned the true meaning of sharing. I have not heard the phrase “that’s mine” since I have been here I do not think it is in the vocabulary. In saying that I hope you enjoy “my” entry and can “share” it with your loved ones :)

In Friendship
Leah

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing your experiences Leah, it is good for us to remember that mental health is an issue all over the world.
    I also believe that some of the answers to aiding in recovery or stabilization, is by treating people with dignity and acceptance as well as taking the time to learn their histories.
    It seems like this is happening where you are. Like I said to Mitra, I can picture you working in this community and sharing your acceptance, love and happiness to all you meet.
    I am so very happy for you and can hardly wait to see you again...

    ReplyDelete