Tuesday, May 18, 2010

smiles on the ward (Mitra)

My days at the hospital are somewhat challenging due to the lack of resources. It is amazing how the staff have learned to improvise and be able to save the lives of many new born children. There was a heartbreaking event that happened last week. We had a baby who we worked hard to revise and get him stable on his breathing. The next morning when I went back to the hospital, I learned that he passed away the night before. It was a sad morning for me, but I have learned to ease the pain by thinking about those who are able to survive and get a chance of a full life. I am trying to learn how to improvise and make use of things that seem not to be useful.
I truly enjoy being in the hospital and communicating with patients. The other day one of the patients saw my camera and asked me to take a picture of her. After taking the picture, I showed it to her and she couldn’t stop laughing. She was so exited to see herself in the camera. All of a sudden everybody else wanted their pictures to be taken. I felt blessed to be doing it, they were posing and I was taking pictures and showing it to them. The whole ward’s mood changed to a happy mood and there was laughter as my camera was making its way around. They were pointing at each other and were having a blast. I made many friends that day. As I was walking out of the ward they were all waving and saying goodbyes with the biggest smiles on their faces. The fact that they were happy and had fun made me feel so good that I had to stop for a few minutes and let myself truly absorb it. All the way to my home I couldn’t stop smiling, it was a happy ending to a sad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment