Saturday, June 26, 2010

Time has come to say goodbye........Mitra


When I was coming to Uganda I did not know what to expect. There were so many mixed emotions and feelings. I was scared, nervous, excited, and anxious to start my journey in Uganda, something that I had dreamed for a long time. 8 weeks passed by so fast and time is running out. Few more days and we have to say our good bye to our friends and colleagues in Masaka. As I am writing these words tears come to my eyes.
How can I explain Uganda especially Masaka and its people. Between all those sadness and heart breaking stories there is so much love here. Every time I close my eyes and think about people in Masaka the first thing that comes to my view is their lovely smile and great sense of humor. They are the greatest hosts that I have ever met. They don’t have much but what they have they share with each other and even strangers like us. I remember when I was sick for ten days; my supervisor would call me few times a day to ask me how I am doing. Just bare in mind that air time is very expensive. Every time I took a bottle of water to work my supervisor thanked me for taking car of myself, how amazing is that. I have learned so much from people here and I am deeply sad to say goodbye. I feel I have been here for ever. I don’t feel like a foreigner.
Children; I can’t say enough about children. Their manner and kindness is beyond comprehension. Before coming here I had never imagined myself working with children but strangely enough I can’t get enough of the children here. One day Ramen and I were at home, out of nowhere few of the children from the place we visited couple of days ago came to visit us. We had a bless. We played, danced, and made funny faces. It was so much fun. We gave them our cameras and they had so much fun taking pictures with them and posing for camera.
Truly Uganda is the peal of Africa. Every where you look is green and beautiful. There are many hills surrounding the city. Even the rain is enjoyable here because it is not cold. There are no words to explain the taste of pineapples, tomatoes and avocadoes here in Masaka. I wish you all could come and taste these delicious fruits. I will miss my Boda rides through the city and getting every body’s attention. I will miss our bargaining with the local business men that it was more of a fun and joke than a serious business deal. In my two months here I have not seen an angry or frustrated Ugandans; they all are calm and quiet. I have not seen anybody cutting each other off while driving and showing fingers or swearing at each other, they rather smile and say nothing. They are amazingly patient people. They take care of each other and care for their fellow Ugandans. I am sad to leave so much kindness and love behind. I am sad that I am not going to wave my hand to the children on my way home anymore. I am sad that I am not going to sit with the ladies in the hospital and practice my Luganda and make them laugh. I can’t get enough of their smiles. I have experienced through compassion here in Uganda and I am honored to meet people of Uganda and make friends with them. I hope I can come back in the future and visit my friends and the ones who thought me the true meaning of compassion, sharing, caring, and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment